Plans are progressing well for The Skelligs Retreat, a new people-orientated wellness retreat on the edge of County Kerry. Once open, we’ll be offering a wide range of things to do here in Allagheemore, from outdoor adventures and local cultural activities, to state-of-the-art facilities in which to relax and unwind away from the stresses of modern life.
One of the main questions we’re asked when we talk about The Retreat is ‘why?’.
We’ll cover the specific story of The Skelligs Retreat and why it’s being created in later blogs, but there’s a wider context too. We’re living in an ‘always-on’ world, where society has a greater appreciation of wellbeing and the pandemic has helped reassess what’s important to many people. With this in mind, retreat centres like ours on the coast of Ireland offer a unique respite from ‘real life’.
A few statistics:
- There are 6.4 billion smartphone users worldwide – 80% of the world’s population (Oberlo).
- People spend a third of their waking time on mobile apps (BBC).
- A 2017 study showed more than 10% of the global population lived with a mental health disorder of some kind (FutureLearn).
- In the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, global prevalence of anxiety and depression increased by 25% (WHO).
- The wellness tourism market continues to grow and is expected to reach $919bn, which would represent 18% of all global tourism (GWI).
Suddenly it becomes more clear why we need a world leading retreat centre in Ireland; a place for individuals and groups to seek respite and reinvigoration; a chance to escape the stresses, pressures and distractions of modern life; and a sustainable, environmentally-friendly and carefully considered means of securing tourism investment into the area.
What are the benefits of visiting a retreat centre?
Wellness retreats offer a wide range of benefits and we’re working hard to create a centre that will combine opportunities to relax with chances for visitors to immerse themselves in the local culture and outdoor surroundings.
Here are six benefits of visiting our retreat centre in Ireland:
- Time to refocus and learn new skills: We’re working with local people to offer classes on everything from local crafts to cookery skills.
- An opportunity to eat well: We’re refining a stunning healthy menu prepared by a top catering team – ditch the junk food and detox at The Skelligs.
- Make the most of feel-good treatments: Benefit from state-of-the-art spa facilities overlooking the powerful Atlantic Ocean.
- Give yourself a digital detox: A chance to switch off from the ‘always on’ society that places too much pressure on people of all ages.
- Break unhealthy habits: Get up earlier, go to bed earlier, increase your steps count or simply put your phone away. Whatever habits you’re trying to break, you can do it at The Skelligs Retreat.
- Refresh yourself: Most of all, wellness retreats offer a place to reinvigorate.
Want to know more? Leave your email address below to register your interest and keep up to date with progress.